“The Mountains are calling - And I must go”- John Muir
Southern California is one of the few districts to have a UU Camp and we have a very fine one. Nestled in Alpine woods in the San Bernardino Mountains, and short walk to nearby Jenks Lake. It is on the way to Big Bear Lake but also very close to Redlands and a short 20-minute drive on mountain roads. Under the leadership of Janet James, we have a warm and talented staff to provide excellent sports, activities and food and lodging.
Camp de Benneville Pines is tranquil mountain retreat, a place where you can commune with nature and find the solitude of a mountain glen. We offer a place to contemplate and to explore your own spiritual path alone and also with others, as you wish. It also a place to bask in the warmth of a welcoming community of peers.
Camp Opportunities 2017
All Church Camp Weekend October 6-8, 2017
Each fall, we join with 2 nearby OCUUC congregations to have a weekend retreat at our UU Camp 1/2 hour from Redlands and on the way to Big Bear Lake. If you have not been before, we hope you will join us. The camp is affordable and we have a great time. Registration is now open with an early bird discount.
Register for Camp
To register for camp, fill out the registration form and bring it to church.
Camp de Benneville Pines is our beautiful UU camp in the San Bernardino Mountains. OCUUC, Tapestry UU Congregation, of Mission Viejo, and the UU Fellowship of Laguna Beach share this camp weekend together. We had a wonderful weekend last year, sharing interactions and activities at camp. These events help bring us all closer together. Our UU district camp has steadily grown. Experiencing the mountains and forest is satisfying, and interaction with members from other churches and fellowships enriches the experience.
There will be activities for all ages from kids to seniors, or people can spend the entire weekend reading or dozing with feet up at the fireplace in the lodge. Janet James manages the facility, which is very comfortable, and the food is terrific. Camp activities are in the planning stage but will include things like hiking, archery, canoeing and kayaking, yoga, meditation, worship, singing, a treasure hunt, board games, art and workshops. Camp is open to members and friends, singles and families, all are encouraged to participate. Check out last year's schedule to get an idea of what it's like.
The costs are the same as last year. Families with children in religious education will receive a $100 discount. Any camper should apply for a camp scholarship if cost makes it difficult to attend. The scholarship application is included with the registration form above.
To suggest a camp activity, or if you would like more information, please contact camp@OCUUC.org
MANY CAMPS OFFERED THROUGHOUT THE YEAR
Take a moment to look at the Camp de Benneville Pines schedule of events! There are many different camps held throughout the year.
In the Summer, there are week long camps:
- Elementary Summer Youth Camp in July
- Junior High Summer Youth Camp in July
- Senior High Summer Youth Camp in July
- Summer Family Camp in August
- Summer Camps for Adults in August
- UU Choir Retreat in August
- Walking the Walk Social Justice Family Camp in August
- Art Groove: Summer Art Program for Adults
- Camp Bravo Theater Arts Camps in June and July
During Fall, Winter and Spring, there are these weekend camps for children and families:
- Elementary Children and their families in February
- Camp Aranu’tiq (Ar-a-NOO-tick) for Transgender Youth and their Families in the March
- Rainbow Family Camp in March and also in May
- Inspire Homeschooling Family Retreat in June and also October
- Pine-Con Game Retreat in October
There are specialty weekend camps including:
- UU Men’s Fellowship Spring Renewal in April
- UU Women’s Retreat in May
- Camp Recovery in April
- Mid-Week Work Camps in April and November
- Summer Arts Program for Adults – Weeklong in August
- Young Adult Camp – Long Weekend in September
- Yoga Retreat in September
- ACA Retreat in September
- Daughters of Diana Women’s Pagan Weekend in October
- Music in the Mountains Folk Music Retreat in November
- Thanksgiving Family Celebration in November
- Winter Art Camp in December
About Camp de Benneville Pines
Camp de Benneville Pines is located in the Barton Flats area of the San Bernardino National Forest, about 90 miles east of Los Angeles. At an elevation of 6,800 feet and a short walk from Jenks Lake, the camp is surrounded by a forest of towering pines, cedars, and oaks.
You can read about the history of Camp de Benneville Pines.
Please contact Karen Anderson with any questions.