Calix School of Unitarian Universalist Magic has come to a close after twelve great weeks. Children, youth, family members, and teachers all celebrated with an end-of-term potluck brunch feast and magic show on Sunday, September 25th. Our children really seemed to enjoy and get a lot out of this curriculum, and much of that success is owed to the hard work of our dedicated volunteers. Special thanks go out to:
- Jennifer Abt for developing the original curriculum
- Crystal Null, Susan Shaw, Richard Belles, and Mary Lundholm for sharing their expertise as guest professors
- Beth Syverson and Elizabeth Kilchoer for helping to arrange special guests
- Our summer professors, who were truly the backbone of the program: Jennifer Abt, Kamila Behrens, Gabrielle Block, Claudia Finato, Maria Goode, Betty Hogan, Tammy Justice, Elizabeth Kilchoer, Jacques Kilchoer, Randy Kokal, Nancy Loughrey, Gina Martinez, Karen Naves, and Birdie Reed
- Our youth prefects David Anderson, Cody Belles, and Joël Kilchoer
- All of the parents that made the effort to bring their kids to church!
This wonderful summer could not have happened without all of their support.
Looking ahead to our new church year, here are some important things to know:
- I will be on new parent/bonding leave from 9/26-10/10 and will generally not be responding to emails or sending out RECY Weeklies.
- Sunday, October 2nd will be a multi-generational animal blessing service. The nursery will be open, as usual, for the youngest among us. Older children will join the rest of their families in the service.
- Many of our families will be at camp on Sunday, October 9th, but there will be a children's craft available in the FUUn Room. Participating kids should start in the service with their families and then leave with our volunteers after Time for All Ages.
- We will begin our new curricula and age-separated classes on October 16th. Children will start in the service with their parents and leave with their teachers after Time for All Ages.
Although I will be taking some much-needed time away to bond with my two new little ones, I am looking forward to starting our church year off with a bang upon my return! If you would like to help RE at OCUUC get off to the strongest possible start this fall, please consider being a religious education teacher or assistant this year. Some of our most dedicated teachers are not available to teach for various reasons, so we need new teachers to step up and take their place. If you are willing to commit to 1 Sunday per month or occasional Sundays or you are just interested in learning more, please shoot me an email or find me on a Sunday morning.
Karen Magoon Pearson