Share Our Selves is one of the largest, most comprehensive, volunteer-based agencies providing safety net services for homeless and low-income individuals and families in Orange County. All services are free and include medical and dental care, counseling, case management, food, clothing, financial assistance, legal aid, and special holiday programs. With the help of more than 400 regular volunteers, SOS is an excellent example of service integration, cutting across multiple service systems to reduce costs, increase efficiencies and deliver the highest quality medical care. Our goal is to provide immediate and long term solutions to poverty in Orange County and to provide services for those lacking resources. In these difficult economic times, the integral safety net services that SOS provides to the community are more important than ever. OCUUC partners with SOS several times every year.
Our Little Green Cart is ready for your donations! Leave your donation and a volunteer will take it to SOS on a weekly basis. There are suggestions listed on the front of the cart or simply think of what you would need if you were only able to choose a few items to feed or care for your family. Should you have any questions, send us an email.
- Protein sources that don’t have to be refrigerated (canned tuna, for example)
- Shelf-stable or powdered milk
- Foods that little ones like to eat
- Toiletries such as shampoo, toothpaste, disposable razors and soap
- Check the list on the cart for more ideas
Mother's Day Baby Care Item Collection Event 2016
You’re invited to participate in a Mother’s Day Collection to support Share Our Selves. Bring a baby care item to church on May 8 and May 15.
Suggested Baby Care Items:
- Diapers, Wipes, Diaper Rash Ointment
- Clothes (onesies, sleepers)
- Baby Bottles
- Burping towels
- Toy(s), rattles, teethers
- Hand lotion
- Bathing items (shampoo, washcloth, towel, soap, lotion)
Back-to-School Donations 2016
SOS school supplies=SCRIP
A great way to help students as well as our church is to donate Scrip Gift Cards! Target or any store on the list that sells school supplies is great! Contact Melody Daigle for more information. Thank you!
This August SOS (ShareOurSelves) will distribute over 3,000 backpacks filled with school supplies to OC students from low-income families. They need our help to meet this goal! Through August there will be a blue container by the Welcome Table to collect donations of items such as:
- new backpacks
- pens and pencils
- pencil boxes
- colored markers
- lined notebook (filler) paper
- crayons and colored pencils
- gift cards for school uniforms
- hand sanitizer
- spiral notebooks
Thank you for helping our students to be prepared and ready to learn!
Adopt A Family 2016
OCUUC has been supporting Share Ourselves for many years, especially at the winter holiday time, when they provide food and gifts for up to 1500 families. We have a few ways you can become involved:
- Adopt a family yourself or with a group. Judith will help you obtain family details from SOS, or you can contact them directly.
- Join our Toy Drive. Bring new, unwrapped toys and gifts to church on in mid December. These will be delivered to SOS for families that have not been adopted.
- Donate cash and scrip cards for grocery, shoe stores and department stores such as Target. These will be collected at church, dates TBA.
- Contact SOS by email to offer your help during a week in mid December to prepare donations for delivery to the adopted families.
For more information, contact Judith at email@example.com