Dear OCUUC Parents-
I hope your children will be able to join us for our dragon parade for Chinese New Year this coming Sunday. We will walk our dragon around our coffee area immediately after the adult service. We still need adult helpers for this Sunday’s project, and to assist the children in making their own dragon paper bag puppets. Please let me know if you can assist, there will be too many children for just three of us to work with safely.
RECY has made one policy change for this year for teachers. We are asking that relatives not teach together in the same classroom if there are only two teachers present. This is to keep everyone protected should any questions arise about any situation in a classroom. We are being proactive with this policy so that continue to have safe and happy classes at OCUUC.
Our youth group will be moving the first week in February up to the Tracey Boag Building for a pilot project. We hope to create a great place for the youth to gather near the patio area and playground.
Check out all the details below for fun activities for all ages. The Jason Shelton music event is coming up fast. RE will host a Valentines Craft Night, with pizza dinner on February 4th. Gabrielle Block will be heading up our Secret Pals program at the end of February, continuing through March for the third year in a row. Thank you, Gabrielle!
Dates will be announced very soon for winter/spring Our Whole Lives for Sr. high and for our 4-6 graders. Our Whole Lives (OWL) provides a safe setting with trained facilitators for children and youth to learn about their bodies. In addition to providing accurate information, OWL encourages the older youth to explore their own sexual identities and ethics, and to critically examine the messages from the larger culture. Please contact me immediately if your sr. high or 4-6 grade students would like to take OWL this spring. dreocuucorg
Thanks for all you do~~
Rayna Hamre, OCUUC Director of Religious Education
- Saturday February 4th, 4-7 pm in the Social Hall, Crafts for Valentine’s Day such as cards and decorations. Fun for the entire family, all are welcome! Pizza will be provided, bring a side dish or dessert to share. Helpers needed for set up and clean up, please contact Rayna to RSVP at dreocuucorg (dreocuucorg)
- OCUUC Children’s Choir will be singing in the Jason Shelton concert “Voices in Unity” on February 11 at 7:30pm.
Sunday, January 29, 1-2pm, Gillan 3 classroom
Sunday, Febuary 5, 1-2pm, Gillan 3 classroom
Thursday, February 9, 7-8pm, sanctuary
Friday evening, February 10, 6-7pm, sanctuary
Saturday evening, 6pm call time, 7:30pm concert
Jason Shelton wrote some of our favorite UU songs – “Standing on the Side of Love,” “Morning Has Come,” and “Fire of Commitment.” He’ll be here to conduct and sing a concert of his own compositions about love, unity, and action. Here is the flyer for the whole Jason Shelton weekend: http://ocuuc.org/ministries/workshops/
Contact Beth Syverson if your family wants to participate in this special event. Beth Syverson, 714-376-6666, MusicDirectorocuucorg (MusicDirectorocuucorg) .
- Renaissance Module at the Los Angeles UU Church, March 22, 2012, 5:30 pm to March 24, 2012, 12:00 pm. Renaissance Module: UU Identity. This is open to the RE community; Rayna is one of the organizers. The goals of the Unitarian Universalist Identity Module include: creating an understanding of identity as a process; becoming aware of how the process unfolds; identifying ways to foster the process, specifically among Religious Education participants and generally among their congregations. Link: Registration form
- May 5, 2012, save the date. International Day at Soka University, with the OC Dept. of Education and Arts Orange County. We can meet up for music and fun
- Ongoing. Families are invited to bring non-perishable foods and toiletry items for the Share Our Selves (SOS) little green shopping cart on the patio. Goods will be dropped at SOS each week.
- June 20-24 2012, UU Justice General Assembly (GA) in Phoenix http://www.uua.org/ga/ GA is the yearly general conference for the entire UU denomination. This year it is being held in Phoenix, and this is a wonderful opportunity for our families and youth to attend. We hope to have some fund raisers this year to help send our youth to Justice GA. Here is is a link to the new UU Justice GA blog
Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.