This sample Statement of Purpose and Commitment comes from the First Unitarian Church of Omaha (“A Different Kind of Congregation”). I thought it made a very practical outline for a congregation, community, and family.
- We are each committed to learning ways in which we might live more sustainable lives that will help reduce the threat of global warming.
- From that growing awareness and knowledge we will strive to make personal lifestyle changes that strengthen the connection between our spiritual principles and our daily actions.
- We will strive to lead by example and not by words alone.
- We believe that a commitment to change must come from within.
- We believe that each person at First Unitarian must take responsibility for his or her own actions within our church and the greater community.
- We believe that a “greener than thou” attitude has no place in a [Environmental Stewardship] program, inasmuch as we are each in the process of learning and growing.
- We believe the role of the Green Sanctuary Committee is to build upon our church community’s awareness and knowledge of environmental issues and to build upon and strengthen our denomination’s commitment to our Seventh Principle.
- We will strive to encourage widespread congregational participation in the 12 projects and activities required for Green Sanctuary accreditation.
- We will encourage and support both individual and collective action.
- We will encourage and facilitate networking among different committees in our church.
- We will strive to build networks in our wider community as we work on these projects.
- We will provide frequently updated information on the Green Sanctuary Program to our congregation.
- We will remain open to new ideas and to new members.
Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.